Minutes of May 25th 2021 meeting of Strathaven and Glassford Community Council

Sederunt:

Aileen McMann (Chairperson); Gordon McAllan (Vice Chair); Les Hoggan (Secretary); Sheila Munro Tulloch (Treasurer); Morag Arnot; Linda Brown; Alister Hendry; Margot McDonald; Douglas Scott and Aileen Stewart. Councillors: G. Campbell and I. Dorman. Minute Secretary: John Graham. Visitors: Dr. Lisa Cameron MP; Linzi Clark and Robert Murray. 

Apologies:

Councillor M. Cooper. 

Minutes of Previous Meeting (27/04/2021).

The Minutes were approved without change. Proposed: Les Hoggan. Seconded: Douglas Scott. 

Community Action Plan (CAP).

(a) The CAP is now live on the CC Website. There are two versions. One to download and print and one to download and complete online. Information about the Consultation will also be in the latest edition of ‘The Echoes’. To date there have been no responses.

(b) A small number of paper copies will be produced for distribution round local cafes.

(c) Closing Date for the Public Consultation is 30th June, 2021.

(d) Les Hoggan to compose a few lines for the Strathaven Facebook Page. This to go to the Chairperson before going to the Administrator of the site. 

CC Membership.

(a) John Graham was asked to become a Member of the CC. He agreed to do so and his appointment was agreed by the Members.

(b) New Members are required for the CC following some Members standing down this year. It was agreed that a request for New Members be put out. Les Hoggan to put this appeal on to the CC Facebook Page.

(c) It was suggested that visitors to the CC Meetings be asked if they wished to consider becoming Members. This to be done in conjunction with the Facebook appeal to the wider community. 

Plans for Incinerator at Overwood.

(a) This is still at the Pre-Planning stage and no Application has yet been lodged with SLC.

(b) Viridor are carrying out Public Consultations and the opinion was expressed that these have not been particularly helpful.

(c) It is possible that any Planning Application may be referred to the Scottish Government at some stage.

(d) Dr. Lisa Cameron MP has contacted SLC regarding the proposed development. She will continue to monitor the situation and will be doing Reports on the Application in the future.

(e) While the CC are not an official body as far as this Project is concerned they can submit a response to the Viridor Consultation.

(f) Members believed that the proposed Incinerator would impact Strathaven and Glassford. The 90 metre high chimneys would be an eyesore and there may be increased traffic movement caused by waste being taken to the Plant. (g) The CC should begin work on their response but should seek more details about the plans before submitting any response.

(h) Morag Arnot provided statistics regarding other Plants and on the amount of material which was planned to be processed by the Incinerator. She agreed to forward this information to Members.

(i) While something was needed to deal with this type of waste it was felt that this was not necessarily the right location for such a site.

(j) Les Hoggan and Councillor Dorman agreed to speak to John Young from Stonehouse regarding the feelings of people in that community about the proposed Plant.

(k) Les Hoggan was asked to put together a Report, including the traffic aspect. He asked if Members could send him their comments on this matter by Tuesday 1st June, 2021 

Toilet Provision in Strathaven.

(a) As obtaining a building for a Public Toilet is economically unfeasible, the CC are investigating a Local Comfort Scheme similar to one being used in Lanark. This would involve local businesses receiving funding for allowing the public to use their Toilets. To date, 5 businesses have expressed a willingness to take part in such a Scheme.

(b) Informal discussions have taken place in the past but nothing came from them.

(c) How an Incentive Scheme can be funded, how the CC would stand as a Regulatory Authority and any Insurance implications need to be discussed. A Meeting will need to be held to consider all aspects of the proposed Scheme. This could involve local businesses and SLC. A Community Council constituted under section 52 of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 as amended.

(d) The CC should be pro-active in bringing Toilet facilities to Strathaven and thereby help attract more people to visit the town. 

Transport Sub-Group. A Meeting of the Sub-Group will take place on 11th June, 2021. 

Working Together for Avondale (WTA).

(a) While funds have been committed, no money has been spent in May.

(b) An Application for a further £4,000 has been made to the SLC Enhanced Summer Provision Fund 2021. This funding, if successful, will be used to run Mindfulness and Art Workshops over the summer. A decision on the Application will be known by 9th June, 2021.

(c) Work is ongoing with the Strathaven Foodbank and the Taal Restaurant to provide meal vouchers to supplement the food parcels.

(d) In conjunction with Creative Strathaven more Craft Kits will be provided for use over the summer holidays.

(e) WTA is working with the Strathaven Miniature Railway to arrange a Family Fun Day on Sunday 13th June, 2021. It was suggested that there could be music in the Bandstand on the day but, while this was an option, there were concerns that this could lead to people congregating around the site.

(f) Two more Peer Support Groups will be held. One on Autism and one for families with babies born within the last year.

(g) Events to be advertised on Facebook, the CC Website and in ‘The Echoes’. In reply to a question if the Noticeboard in the Common Green, beside the Car Park, could also be used, it was stated that it was not available at this time. CARS and the Strathaven Business Association are working on a plan to make it usable again.

(h) Members of the CC were asked to give any ideas for the use of remaining funds to either Les Hoggan or Sheila Munro Tulloch. 

Strathaven CARS.

(a) There have been 3 new Applications to the Fund. The Tudor Cafe; 3, Bridge Street and the Green Room.

(b) Other projects are on-going and CARS do not wish too many more new Projects as there is a need to balance the funding.

(c) In reply to a question regarding a Gable End on Green Street it was stated that work could not be done on this at present due to certain unresolved problems. 

Kype Muir Community Fund.

(a) A Meeting scheduled for Monday 24th may, 2021 had to be cancelled. The next Meeting will be at the end of June, 2021 and Margot McDonald will report back to the CC.

(b) There have been 3 Applications to the Fund:- 1. Climate Action Strathaven for £6,500. 2. W3ST for £4,000 towards CCTV provision. 3. Lanarkshire Larder. This Application requires further investigation.

(c) Les Hoggan said that another Expression of Interest would be forthcoming to the Fund.

(d) Concerns were raised that Applications were being received from out with the Strathaven and Glassford CC area. There is a need for other CC’s to take a share of Applications and pitch in with some funding. 

CC Micro Grants.

(a) No word has been received on the Grant for this year.

(b) Two Groups have still to finalise their Funds for last year. 

Secretary’s Report.

All items covered in the Meeting. 

Treasurer’s Report.

(a) There have been no transactions since those reported last month.

(b) Town Centre Funding will be in the next Report.

(c) There is still £10,342.71 remaining uncommitted in the COVID Fund 2020 – 2022.

(d) The Financial Report was accepted by the Meeting. 

Reports from CC Members.

(a) The Balloon Festival AGM will be held on 10th June, 2021. (Les Hoggan)

(b) Concerns were raised about fly-tipping in the area. (Gordon McAllan)

(c) Certain roads in the area were in need of repair due to traffic originally associated with the Wind Turbines. (Gordon McAllan)

(d) Cones around drains on Glasgow Road are causing a problem for the free movement of traffic. (Linda Brown)

(e) Repairs are required on the road into Glassford from the Hamilton Road end. (Les Hoggan)

(f) Road markings at the Commercial Road/Glassford Road Junction are in need of re-painting. (Morag Arnot)

(g) Councillor Dorman agreed to look into the above issues.

(h) The 20mph and 30mph signs on Overton Road seemed to be causing confusion due to the short distances between the limits. (Morag Arnot) Councillor Campbell said that the signs complied with the Regulations set out by the Scottish Government to Local Authorities.

(i) In response to a request for an update on the Hallhill Site in Glassford by Gordon McAllan, it was stated that discussions had taken place about the Ecological Report. Robert Murray said that he had questions for SLC. 

Reports from SLC Councillors.

Councillor Campbell

(a) The roll out for fibre boxes for bringing better Broadband to Strathaven and Glassford has been completed. The system should be ready by the end of 2021. It is possible that land may be available for the siting of a Digital Station in Strathaven.

(b) There has been a further delay in starting the building of houses on the Kirk Street site 

AOCB.

(a) The problem of sheep being loose on the A71 on the road to Stonehouse was raised. This could cause a serious accident and could whoever is responsible for the repair of the gates and fencing be contacted.

(b) The Police Report has been received and is as follows:- The figures for dates between 01/05/21 – 25/05/21 are:- Theft – 6 incidents varying from theft of vehicles to shoplifting. Fraud – 3 incidents involving phone scams. Assault – 3 incidents. Road Traffic Offences – 3 incidents all minor. Vandalism – 2 incidents. Anti-Social Behaviour – 5 incidents varying from street drinking to loud parties. Communication Act Offences – 2 incidents of verbal abuse on-line. Drug Offences – 1 minor incident.

(c) There have been reports of Academy pupils climbing on to the roof of the Barrie Shelter and that they were using the public defibrillator to get up there. They could seriously injure themselves if they fell off and there is a risk that the defibrillator could be damaged and be unusable in an emergency. Les Hoggan was asked to contact the Academy and alert them about this issue.

(d) Dr. Lisa Cameron MP reported that she was currently working with an innovative young person who has put together a successful Petition for a Skate Park for young people. Les Hoggan said that he would be putting an article on this in ‘The Echoes’.

(e) Dr. Lisa Cameron MP also said that she was working on her article for the SJHMT COVID Archive.

(f) Aileen McMann said that she would not be available to Chair the June Meeting and asked Gordon McAllan if he could deputise for her. He agreed to do so.

Date of Next Meeting.

Tuesday 29th June 2021 at 7.00pm via Zoom.

Members of the Public are most welcome to all our Meetings. All correspondence to:- strathavencommcouncil@gmail.com. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s