Although the Strathaven and Glassford Community Council is currently unable to meet due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are continuing to operate as a Community Council through emails and other discussions.
We are delighted to be involved in the ongoing community support across Avondale. We are managing a fund which includes generous donations from Falck Renewables and Banks Renewables and which is being used by the many groups across our community offering support. It is great to se that they are mostly all working together on a coordinated approach as this, we feel, is the only way any effective community support can be provided.
So far the fund has helped support
- Strathaven’s Foodbank, operated by Strathaven Evangelical Church.
- A free meal delivery service on Sundays, operated by Outreach Community Church.
- Glassford Community Group’s support for frontline workers.
- Printing and distribution of a leaflet promoting the work of local community groups and encouraging people in need to get in touch.
- The local production of 250 visors for distribution across our community to groups, individuals and businesses.
The visors were produced in Strathaven as part of a collaboration between Gary Tompsett and the University of Glasgow (which donated the brow frames). There being modelled below by Arthur and Emma from Roasted.
Sainsbury’s has set up a trolley for donations to Strathaven’s Foodbank and we would encourage shoppers to donate in this way whilst doing their shopping.
The leaflet below is being distributed across the community to advise of help available.
The groups have established links with the local health centre, VASLan, Home Energy Scotland amongst others. The image below is on the reverse of the leaflet being distributed.